2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup coconut milk (full fat and cold)
1. Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, sea salt and cane sugar in a medium-size bowl.
3. Mix together coconut milk and lemon juice in a small-size bowl. If your coconut milk has lumps in it, blend it to make it creamy smooth. Your coconut milk should be cold for the fluffiest biscuits possible!
4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly pour the milk into the well. Mix with a spatula until just combined. The dough will be a bit sticky but still pliable. Do not overmix the dough or else the biscuits will be tough.
5. Flour your hands and dust the countertop with flour. Pat the dough out until it is about ¾ inch thick and cut out 8 biscuits (using a lightly floured cookie cutter or the rim of a glass). Pat out any corners or unused dough and cut until you have used up all your dough.
6. Transfer the biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before transferring to a plate.
Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup sweetener of choice to turn these biscuits into shortcakes!