Vegan Maple Pecan Pie
2 cups raw pecan halves
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 Tablespoons arrowroot or unmodified potato starch
1/2 cup soy milk
3 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 prepared pie crust
1. Lightly toast the pecans by spreading them out on a baking sheet and baking them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Take one half of the pecans and chop coarsely, leaving the other half in tact.
2. Whisk together the maple syrup, brown rice syrup and arrowroot in a medium saucepan, then bring up to a boil, stirring often. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Combine the soy milk, vanilla, salt and flax seed in your blender and blend until smooth, about a minute. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes. It will become quite thick.
4. Whisk the soy milk mixture into the maple syrup mixture until well combined. Fold in the pecans until well incorporated. Pour the mixture into a prepared pie crust and a level out with spatula.
5. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees until deep golden brown on top. The syrup may still be bubbling.
6. Let cool thoroughly before serving.
Even though it is vegan, remember, it is very rich and needs to be saved for special occasions and shared.