Grammy Cook’s Apple Crisp
8 1/2 – 10 cups apples, sliced
1 12 oz frozen apple juice
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup sweetener of your choice
1/2 cup brown rice or whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 Tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place apple juice concentrate in a large sauce pan with the corn starch. Bring to a boil while stirring to thicken.
3. Add apples and cook 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Pour into 9×15 baking pan.
5. Mix sweetener, flour, nuts, applesauce, cinnamon and salt together with hands or a pastry cutter and sprinkle over apples.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Use minimally processed sweeteners like Sucanat, coconut sugar or raw cane crystals. Use minimally processed oils, like grape, safflower, coconut or olive. To make the topping healthier, we use applesauce, but the original recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons each Butter and Oil, instead of Applesauce, for a crispier topping