1 1/2 cups chopped dates
2 Tablespoons cane juice crystals or honey
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup brown rice syrup or light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups crisped rice cereal
1. Chop dates (it is best to chop your own and not use the ones coated in oat flour) and place in a medium saucepan along with the cane juice crystals, oil, syrup, water, salt and vanilla.
2. Cook and stir over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in nuts and cereal.
4. Let cool for a few minutes until not too hot to handle and roll into balls the size of a walnut.
5. Roll in coconut and cool.
6. Store uncovered for 24 hours (if they last that long!) before storing in a container with a lid.
7. Best if eaten the following day or later.
An old family tradition passed down from my grandmother, Blanche Warren Hunt, this version has been ‘veganized’ and trimmed of excess oils and sugars to be the tastiest and healthiest that my mom and husband, Ronnie could make them. Enjoy!