2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
Maple Nut Glaze
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon agar powder
1/2 teaspoon butter-flavored salt
1/4 cup soymilk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine the water, dates, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently simmer for five minutes.
3. Place shredded carrots in a large bowl and pour the hot water mixture over them, allow to cool completely. Add orange juice concentrate to the carrot mixture and mix well. Add dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Add a little more water if too stiff.
4. Pour the batter into a lightly greased cake pan. Bake at 375* for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Frost with Maple Nut Glaze.
5. Place all ingredients (except walnuts) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside at room temperature until semi-set (about 10 minutes). Spread glaze on cake and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.