Caribbean Black Beans and Rice
6-ish cups cooked brown rice
4 15-oz. cans black beans, 3 of which are rinsed and drained. You may use 3 cups home-cooked black beans instead of canned
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
3 teaspoons chili powder – more or less to taste
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 small green pepper
2 ribs celery
2-5 cloves garlic
3 teaspoons cumin – more or less to taste
2 tablespoons McKay’s Chicken Seasoning
1/2 can full-fat coconut milk
salt to taste
1. Cook brown rice.
2. While rice is cooking prepare beans and stir fry.
3. Rinse and drain three of the cans of beans and add all four cans of beans (or home-cooked beans) to a large sauce pan along with the tomatoes and chili powder. Heat, covered, over low heat while preparing vegetables.
4. Cut sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces, green pepper into large dice, slice celery, onions and garlic.
5. Place all veggies, cumin and chicken seasoning in a large fry pan adding a tablespoon or so of water. Cover tightly and heat over low heat until veggies are just tender. Stir in coconut milk (thoroughly stirred in the can to incorporate the fat that rises to the top of the milk), adjust seasonings and serve on a platter.
6. Layer rice on the bottom, topped by the beans and lastly, the veggies. Serve and eat immediately.
Adjust the heat in this recipe according to your taste. Diced tomatoes with green chilies can be purchase in mild, original and hot. They may even be available in extra hot! The choice is up to you!