Healthy Date Caramel Sauce
2 cups, packed Pitted Dates, soft
2 cups boiling water
⅔ cup Light Coconut Milk, canned
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Natural Caramel Flavor
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a heatproof bowl, add the dates and pour the boiling water on top. Let soak for 45 minutes.
2. Reserve 1 cup of the soaking liquid and drain the rest.
3. In a high-speed blender, add the soaked dates and ½ cup of the reserved liquid. Puree until smooth, adding more water as needed. In total, I needed ~¾ cup.
4. Add the coconut milk, vanilla extract, caramel flavor, and salt, and puree until very smooth.
5. Pour into a jar, seal tightly, and refrigerate to store. Keeps for ~2 weeks.
If you don’t want to use Caramel flavoring, I suppose you can use more vanilla instead. You just won’t have as strong of a caramel flavor.