1 Hour Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
4 cups vegetable stock OR water with 1-3 teaspoons McKay’s Chicken or Beef seasoning, to taste
2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1 10 oz bag frozen mixed veggies: peas, carrots, green beans and corn
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish (or comparable sized dish, such as 9×13 pan. An 8×8 won’t fit it all but close!).
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add onions and garlic, a pinch each salt and pepper, lentils, stock, thyme and stir. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking until lentils are tender (35-40 minutes).
3. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen veggies, stir, and cover to meld the flavors together.
4. OPTIONAL: To thicken the mixture, add 2-3 Tbsp mashed potatoes and stir. Alternatively, scoop out 1/2 of the mixture and whisk in 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder and whisk. Return to the pan and whisk to thicken.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then transfer to your prepared oven-safe baking dish and carefully top with mashed potatoes. Smooth down with a spoon or fork and season with another crack of pepper and a little sea salt.
6. Place on a baking sheet to catch overflow and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes, or until the mashers are lightly browned on top.
7. Let cool briefly before serving. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken. Let cool completely before covering, and then store in the fridge for up to a few days. Reheats well in the microwave.