Vegan Chicken Stew with Biscuit Topping
Pot Pie Filling
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
2 cups frozen fixed vegetables
6 cups water
4 vegetarian chicken bouillon cubes
1 Tablespoon McKay’s Chicken Seasoning
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 cup Soy Curls
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
2 cups white wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 rounded Tablespoon Rumford baking powder
1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1. For Stew: Prepare veggies and cook in water until almost cooked.
2. Add frozen veggies, seasonings and Soy Curls, and continue to cook until tender.
3. Mix the milk and corn starch or arrowroot together and stir into the cooked veggies.
4. Cover and reduce heat to very low while making the biscuits.
5. Stir lemon juice into milk and let set to curdle.
6. Mix dry ingredients together well.
7. Stir the milk into the dry ingredients and stir together until just moistened.
8. Drop on the top of the stew by spoonfuls until the top of the stew is covered with the dough.
9. Cover pan and continue to simmer until biscuits are cooked; approximately 10 minutes.
10. Serve hot.
A word of caution: Most bouillon cubes contain quite a bit of salt, so this recipe can be overly salty.