Grammy’s Great Whole-grain Pancake Mix
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup whole grain cornmeal
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup each buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, oat flour, and barley flour
2 Tablespoons Rumford aluminum free baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar/sweetener
1 Tablespoon salt
1. Mix all of the above completely and store in an airtight container until ready to make pancakes.
2. Put 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and 1 Tablespoon oil in a cup measure and top the cup off with non-dairy milk.
3. Mix the liquid into 1 cup of the dry pancake mix and stir until just mixed, do not over stir. You might need to add a splash more milk to make the batter the right consistency. If the batter is too thin, add a little bit more of the pancake mix.
4. Heat a Pam sprayed griddle or large frying pan until a drop of water will dance on the surface.
5. Drop pancake batter onto pan by large spoonfuls and bake until bubbly on top and browned underneath. Turn and bake until the other side is browned.
6. If pancake is doughy in the middle turn the heat down a little.
Any whole grain flours may be substituted for the 1/2 cups of flour. You can multiply this recipe for large families and groups. It is far better tasting and better for you than most store-bought pancake mixes.