Vegan Veggie Frittata
2 shallots, minced
· ½ 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu (not silken), coarsely crumbled
· ⅛ teaspoon black salt (more or less to taste – optional)
· salt to taste
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 4 ounces zucchini, sliced or shredded
· ⅓ of a large red pepper, chopped
· 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned, drained very well
· 1 12.3-ounce package lite firm or extra-firm silken tofu, drained
· ¼ cup non-dairy milk
· 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
· 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
· 1 teaspoon tahini
· 1 clove garlic
· ¼ teaspoon turmeric
· ¾ teaspoon salt
· ⅛ teaspoon additional black salt, or to taste (optional)
1. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit an 8- or 9-inch pie pan. Lightly spray pan with non-stick spray and place parchment in bottom. Lightly spray parchment paper also.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Heat a non-stick pan. Add the shallots, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften but not brown. Add the crumbled tofu, black salt, oregano and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tofu begins to brown in places.
4. Blend all remaining ingredients well in a blender. When veggies and tofu is cooked to your liking, remove the pan from the heat and pour in the contents of the blender. Quickly stir well and pour into the prepared pie pan. Be sure to scrape out any tofu that becomes stuck to the pan. Smooth the top and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until center is set and top is not yet browned.
5. Loosen the frittata around the edges. Place a serving plate on top of the pie pan, and using pot holders, carefully invert the pan so that the frittata falls onto the plate. Peel off the parchment paper from the top. (Use a knife to scrape off any tofu the clings to the paper as you pull it away.) Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.
6. May serve with a small amount of red pasta sauce drizzled over top.