Guthrie’s Gluten Steaks with Gravy
3 quarts water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 Tablespoons powdered beef flavoring
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
2 cups water
2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten (75% gluten)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon powdered beef flavoring (optional)
1. Combine broth ingredients in a large stock pot. Stir together and heat to a slow boil.
2. Place gluten ingredients (EXCEPT the Vital wheat gluten) in a blender and blend at high speed.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add vital wheat gluten to blended mixture and mix by hand until uniformly moist. Let rest for 2-3 minutes.
4. Form into a roll or log about 2″ in diameter. Slice pieces off roll, flatten with the side of the knife and drop into the hot broth.
5. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours until tender and savory. Add additional water as needed.
6. Store steaks in closed container with broth in the refrigerator.
7. Drain broth from gluten steaks. You should have about 4 cups broth. If you have less than 4 cups add water to make 4 cups. Set aside.
8. Cook onions and mushrooms with 1 cup of the broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat until onions are tender.
9. To the remaining broth add remaining gravy ingredients.
10. Mix with whisk until there are no lumps. Add to the onion and mushroom mixture.
11. Bring to a slow boil stirring constantly until gravy thickens.
12. Arrange steaks in a casserole dish. Pour gravy over steaks and heat in oven until heated evenly.
13. Serve and enjoy.